Essential Oils are ubiquitous in the home and as a self-care tool. But did you know not all essential oils are safe for everyone to use, and that some may be toxic if not used correctly?
Find out what the 10 Commandments are for Safe Essential Oils, so you can enjoy these divine gifts from nature without risk of harm.
How to Safely Use Essential Oils: The 10 Commandments
1. Remember essential oils are POTENT. You should only ever measure them in drops, not mls.
2. There are only 2 essential oils that can be applied undiluted to the skin. These are:
Lavender for minor burns or cuts
Tea Tree for acne or fungal infections
No other undiluted essential oils can be applied to skin.
3. Never ingest essential oils unless it has been prescribed to you by a qualified aromatherapist.
4. Don't overdo essential oils in oil burners, mist humidifiers, or home remedies. Follow the instructions. At worse, too much can cause toxicity, at best it is a waste of money and oil.
5. If using essential oils for a health ailment seek medical advice if symptoms persist.
6. Keep your essential oils out of reach of children. If swallowed seek medical advice. If oil is splashed in the eye, rinse with sweet almond oil before seeking medical advice.
7. It can take aromatherapy oils up to two hours to fully penetrate the skin. If having an aromatherapy massage leave atleast two hours after massage before showering.
8. If giving an aromatherapy massage use a plastic bottle or a bowl for the massage oil. Slippery hands and glass don't go well together.
9. Don't store essential oils in plastic bottles as they will become contaminated.
10. Keep out of the sun for 6 hours after using a citrus oil topically. Sun exposure will otherwise cause photo-toxicity and skin irritation.
So there you have it, the 10 Commandments for safe essential oils. Were any of these a surprise for you? Are there any you think we have missed? Let us know in the comments section below! We'd love to hear from you
Light and good vibes
PS: If you'd like to learn more about Aromatherapy we can recommend this great book The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood. Available in our store